Wednesday, March 01, 2006

February 26 Catavina Onyx Quarry Excursion

Catavina was just a brief one night stop over on our return trip north. It had been described to us as the place where we “dry camp around a tree”. They were not kidding in their description. We had lots of room in this open field and actually TWO trees which we circled around.

One optional excursion was made to a nearby Onyx Quarry. I did not know what to expect, other than the promise of a 36 mile trip on back roads and more onyx than I could carry away. My spirit of adventure took me off in a 4 x 4 vehicle with others of the group (while Gary napped in the motor home).

I know now what Onyx looks like and have several pieces to take home. I also saw a number of articles that can be carved out of Onyx but am not sure what I will do with mine. It was just another dusty, bumpy adventure to add to my mental book of memories.

That night we gathered under the two trees to share a potluck dinner with the entire group. As we were sitting eating in wandered two horses who obviously felt we were in their space. They were tamer than the wild burrows who we have encountered along the way and hung along quite awhile waiting for a hand out which never materialized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home