Thursday, February 24, 2005

Our Humanitarian Shopping Adventure

We had quite an adventure at the Goodwill Outlet and much success obtaining quality clothes to go to our humanitarian destinations in Vietnam.

On this trip I had the help of my daughter, Cindy, plus a friend who has worked with me doing humanitarian projects for our soldiers in Iraq. We were further “assisted” by my three grandkids (ages 2, 4, and 8). The three of us literally dove right in and came up with LOTS of nice stuff. There was an abundance of children’s items so we had to keep refocusing on the hunt for small adult items. My daughter would probably tell you about how comical I was doing an actual "huddle" in the middle of our adventure and saying to them, repeat after me, "Small, Adult Clothes, Small Adult Clothes,..." It worked!

My daughter was nice enough to wash and presort it all for me. I finished yesterday with the adult items, compressing and bagging it up into large zip lock bags marked with regard to type (women’s t-shirts, men’s dress shirts, etc.) that should help when we get ready to allocate it to the destinations after we get there. In all there were 111 adult items of clothing which does not include about 30 assorted ball caps I also happened upon. I have a feeling we will have fun when it comes time to give it out!

Time to move on to "packing" the children's clothes...and then waving my "magic wand" over it to keep it small enough to not cost a fortune to take it all with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home