Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Christmas Blessings in my Patriotic Flag Sweatshirt

Yesterday we went to the Portland VA for medical appointments for Gary. This visit was also my planned opportunity to hopefully "play Santa" for some disabled veterans.

As we entered the building, I wore my American Flag sweatshirt and carried with me 6 of my "Veteran's Blankets". These blankets are either a fleece panel or two yards of print fleece with nice wide satin binding sewn all around. To that is added a label made of patriotic fabric which says "Thank you for your service...Linda & Gary Stocker Vietnam '68 - '69." This year we also included a flag card which contains the message as follows: "Thank you for your service to our country. Please accept the comfort of this blanket as a token of our appreciation."

I was not sure how I was going to do the blanket distribution but decided to just "wing it". After dropping Gary off at the dental lab for his appointment, I happened to strike up a conversation with a VA employee in one of the halls. She was commenting on my bag overflowing with my special blankets. I explained to her my mission and she was immediately caught up in the passion of my quest. Next thing I knew she was taking me on a walking "tour" of the maze of VA medical buildings.

First we checked the social workers office - no answer to our knocks on the door so we decided to do our own thing. Her recommendation was to pay a "visit" to an adjacent residential unit where veterans stay while they are there going through cancer treatments. They were independent living units and we went from door to door just knocking. It must have been treatment time as we only found one patient in their unit. However, he was moved by my gesture and very appreciative of the blanket. He could barely talk...partly from his throat cancer and partly from the emotion of the moment. It was explained to me that the blanket would be especially appreciated because the cancer treatment causes them to feel "chilled" all the time. Those were the warm fuzzies I needed in my heart to know I had done the right thing.

Next we headed back to the main hospital area and I was glad I had a guide to negotiate the maze of walkways with me...bread crumbs would not have "cut it". Once I started to diverge to another residential type area and she said she was going to make sure she took me back to the dental clinic where Gary was so we would not spend the rest of the day trying to locate one another. Upon arrival, I checked on Gary who was still waiting for his dental treatment and told him what direction I was headed and when I expected to be back.

From there I explored until I located the oncology area and followed the signs that said "Patient Rooms / Nurse's Station". Once they knew my mission, the nurses were extremely helpful. At my request, they scanned their patient board and directed me to the Veterans who rarely have visitors and might most appreciate my attention and my gift.

As I entered each room, there was a look of anticipation and then appreciation as I explained my gift and the fact that I was the wife of a Vietnam Veteran. It was heart warming and I quickly went through the 6 blankets I had brought in. When I went back to my car for the last 6 blankets, I returned to find a couple cancer patients lined up along the hall waiting "transport" to somewhere for treatment...the first man said "Those are very pretty blankets"...I thought he wanted one but found I had already given him one (guess I did not recognize him with clothes on) but his statement was his way of saying thanks again. He also told me about a buddy in another room that he felt should have one as well. So I was off again to personally visit and deliver more.

I held back a few for a project the nurses had told me about when I first arrived. It is called "Bereavement Packets". It seems that the nurses like to have something special to use to warm and comfort the patients in their last few hours of life. Then after they "pass" that blanket goes into a "Bereavement Packet" that is given to their families as a remembrance of them. My heart soared at the thought of my blankets being utilized in this way and being so cherished.

When I next saw Gary my arms were empty and he asked where my bag went...I told him I gave out all the blankets and my arms were empty but my heart was very full...Oh the power of giving !

I got my Christmas blessings early and already am planning on what I can do for next year !

Thanks for reading...may your Christmas season be blessed with glad tidings.

Linda aka Santa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home